MommaMo

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Perseverance and unexpected support

First point: perseverance. Setting out to do something and really sticking to it. That's what I've been doing. Minus 3 days around Thanksgiving and three other miscellaneous days in there, I have worked out everyday since the beginning of November. I've done step classes, dance (salsa, zumba, etc) classes, body works classes (dumbbells and body resistance moves set to music), yoga, and mat pilates. I've walked really fast on steep hills on treadmills, even jogged a few times for 5 -10 minutes. I know that that's not much, but it's a start. I honestly can't remember the last time I truly ran. Seriously, it's been at least five years... I didn't even run for warmup when I was on tour for Summer 2004 with DCI corps Kiwanis Kavaliers. It's all been because of my feet. They crack, they stretch, they ache, they pinch in unnatural ways. They still do to a good extent, but no where near what they used to. I think being pregnant and having all that extra weight on them for a few months helped. Or maybe I'm smoking something. Either way I can jog now. (Assuming I really want to, rather than just doing it.)

I have set forth a goal for myself by the end of the year. When pregnant with Sadie, at my peak I was 192. I'm not ashamed of that. I admit that that's the most I had ever weighed in my life. But all for a good reason. My goal is forty two pounds less than that by the end of 2008, and I'm almost there (within two to three pounds, to be precise). The hardest thing is really trying to stick with it, especially because I just started a new job this past Monday. So working, then picking up Sadie, going to the gym, making dinner, etc etc etc., is a lot for a day's work. But I've gone every day this week except Wednesday. A little break every now and again is good. I go every Saturday and Sunday because I really don't have an excuse not to. So far I have found that classes are the easiest motivators for me... you can look like a fool and no one cares, plus seeing each class starts at a set time, there's no putting it off to go later. You either show up or you don't. Oh, did I also mention that I take my lunch everyday to work with snacks throughout the day... fruits, crackers, a healthy lunch, juice, water.... much better than scrambling about for fast food just so you can eat. I've noticed that when I think about the food I'm putting in me, the more I appreciate it, and the more I conciously decide to eat healthier items. Ok, enough on that... for now.

Second point: unexpected support. I guess I am just fearful of the day when I'll run into that one person that thinks pumping breastmilk is disgusting, unnatural, and awfully offensive. I've decided that those people can kiss my ass. My getting skinnier ass, I might add. Thursday this week I went up to Oklahoma City for a meeting for work. We (my boss and I) left at 7 am to drive up there. We got home at 5:30 pm, so it wasn't too long of a day. The hardest part was I had to bring my pump with me. No comfort of my office with a door and blinds that I can close to have some privacy while I pumped. I had to find public restrooms that had wall plugs so I could plug in the pump to use it. My pump does come with a battery pack, but it requires 10 or 12 AA batteries, and I just didn't even think to fill it before I left.

But what suprised me the most was the verbal support I received from the few women that enterred the restrooms while I was pumping, standing awkwardly at the sinks. I'm trying to cover myself up in order to not flash the world, but none of them commented on that aspect at all. One lady asked how old my little one was and was proud of me for pumping while away from my baby. Another lady told me a quick story about how her daughter did the same thing for her baby. The most awkward spot to pump though was at a gas station bathroom. It was at least big enough to have a few stalls, but the only plug was next to the sinks. Two older ladies walked in to use the restroom and I was only setting up. I starting pumping while they were in the stalls and one lady started laughing. I was like "what the hell? I hope she's not laughing at me." She came out of the stall to wash her hands and said she was laughing because the pump noise startled her, but after she listened to it for a minute she knew exactly what that noise was. Both of the ladies said it was great that there was the option to pump electrically now. They said they both had trouble manually pumping back in the day. (They were both in their 60's at least). It was nice to have the support in such an awkward situation. But I did miss my office. It's good to know that people are too weirded out by pumping, especially when the "trend" of this generation is breastmilk and not formula. Hooray for boobies!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Kristie said...

I'm so proud that you are still pumping so religiously, keep it up!

December 11, 2008 at 12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home